Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Time Travel is possible

The scientists may still be working on a formula and vehicle that can take us to the future, but we can still go "Back in Time" thanks to memories of the past.

I'd slipped in a musicless funk for quite a long time. Though I continued to go to shows on occasion. Less and less music was in my life. No new album or band had excited me or even got my attention. There are so many other media choices, I started to contemplate quitting music. People weren't happy with this idea but I was. Not having a stereo in my car and only using my computer to listen to music made it even simpler to attempt.

Musiclessness was impossible in my case, yet I did slip away from a lot of it only sticking with the bands I truly loved (the Band, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, etc). A couple weeks ago, a new car entered my life and with it a cd player for my travels. The first time in a long time where I am actually listening to CDs. Finding my CDs are nearly impossible cause all the music I have been listening to was via my Itunes.

Athens called my name as soon as the new vehicle arrived in my life. On my way out the door heading to Athfest and to see my ole friend Jef, I grab my old cd visor loaded with CDs. These CDs were what I was listening to 3 summers ago when I had the Accord for half a month (which had a cd player). After driving around listening to these CDs, the nostalgia of that summer have come flooding back. It was my first summer in the Birmingham. I spent a lot of the summer up on the Ocoee hanging with my brother and sister who were raft guides on the Ocoee. One cd was by far the official cd of the river guides (at least my younger brother & co) Good News for People Who Love Bad News. This extra poppy Modest Mouse album has been in my cd player for the last week just evoking the good memories of a strange summer full of good and bad. It is strange that I have been only focusing on the good from that summer, me usually having the bad habit of only holding onto the dark memories. That summer was the summer of heartbreak, fights and madness at times, but the river, fun times with the siblings, getting to know the ham again and the last love in my life are memories imma trying not to forget.

So time travel was possible and good times can't be forgotten is the lesson of the day for me. Blog will now end with a song that has been with me for a long time. The ending lyrics of this song always strike true, probably why I could never leave rock and roll.

Sunken Treasure

There's rows and rows of houses
With windows painted blue
With the light from a TV
Running parallel to you
But there is no sunken treasure
Rumored to be
Wrapped inside my ribs
In a sea black with ink
I am so
Out of tune
With you
I am so out of tune
With you
If I had a mountain
I'd try to fold it over
If I had a boat (probably roll over)
You know I'd probably roll over (leave it on the shore)
And I leave it on the shore (leave it for somebody)
I'd leave it for somebody
Surely there's somebody
Who needs it more than me
I am so
Out of tune
With you
I am so out of tune
With you
For all the leaves will burn
In autumn fires and then return
For all the fires we burn
All will return
Music is my savior
I was maimed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
I was tamed by rock and roll
I got my name from rock and roll

2 comments:

Leah said...

"Sunken Treasure" is one of the best songs ever--not just one of Wilco's best song. It conjures up time and place so well.... LOVE it!

I was also into that Modest Mouse record, though I'm not into them enough to call myself a fan.

Nathan said...

I liked them alright back in the day but that album was perfectly poppy and easily became a guilty pleasure. I went and saw them for the first time at the bjcc concert hall mainly because of Man Man. Their show was quite disappointing.

Yes yes to Sunken Treasure one of the best.